Thursday, January 6, 2011

Another Meeting; Another ??

North Hollywood is slowly becoming my least favorite city in the Valley.  That's a pretty bold statement considering the valley has garden spots like Arleta, Panorama City, and Sylmar.  The difference between them and NoHo?  Freeways access.  That and the fact that I have suffered rejection twice (mostly) in NoHo, whereas the other mentioned cities (I actually think they're all just big chunks of the monster that is LA) have only mildly offended me.  If you're really curious about the freeway access thing, read my other blog here.  For now, on to the agent story.


I got to the agency in the aforementioned Garden Spot about 3:15 (I made record time and expected to as I was going against traffic) and checked into the "office."  There I was greeted by a cute 23 y-o assistant who asked me to take a seat and the agent would be right with me.  I could hear what was going on in the other room (the door was wide open); two actors were reading a scene for the agent.  When they finished, another pair of actors came in, and they read for her (both readings were followed by a conversation).  They finished, and a third pair came in to read and have the follow-up convo.  While waiting, and during the second pair reading, I was given a script and told to go outside to practice with the assistant. Seeing no one else in the parking lot, I accurately surmised it was my turn.

Now, when you're interviewing with an agent (in my limited experience) for a voiceover slot, it seems to me that reading a scene is a little, well, odd.  Still, I read with all the gusto my junior high acting experience could muster.

Side note:  I worked for Safeco Insurance for all of 91 days.  In that time, we had an employee retreat at the Balboa Bay Club where my division, personal lines underwriting, had to write and perform a skit based on an average workday.  I helped write and was lead actor in the skit.  I won the "Oscar" for best performance in a skit at the retreat.  I subsequently quit Safeco a week later and went on to the glamorous world of teaching junior high.  Now back to this one. . .

So the agent is finally done with everyone else and it's 4:15.  All I could think of was the freeways and how they were beginning to resemble Tommy Lasorda's arteries after a large meatball and cheese from Lugi's Deli (in Anaheim!!).  I read with the assistant (nice girl, from Australia, although she had to tell me that since she had little to no accent) and nailed the scene.

Or so I thought.

The agent says, "That was good, but I can tell you're very raw."  To which I reply, "Well I am here for off-camera voice jobs."  She says, "Would you like to do on-camera, too?"  Now, my expectations were a little low going in, so this got me slightly excited.  "Sure!" says I, "When do I sign?"  The next thing she does is ask for a headshot and resume.  When I say I have none as I am, again, seeking off-camera work, she tells me it's impossible to place me without a headshot.  Short story, long:  Looks like I need to get my shit together and get a headshot done and begin padding a resume ASAP.

So, the bottom line here is one more interview in the can, but no real rejection.  This agent planned on signing 5 of the 6 actors who preceded me yesterday (one was already signed and was auditioning today).  She also seems to get her actors auditions, and more importantly, she gets them booked.  I guess having my picture taken and exaggerating about my acting experience is so bad.  Things left off with her telling me that once I get the pic and resume, give her a call.

Now, can I include acting in the Lincoln Savings employee motivation show as relevant acting experience?
I'll take that as a yes.

Oh, and one more thing, the agent loved my commercial demo produced by Marc Graue.  Get yours done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment